At the beginning of this calendar year, and subsequently the spring semester, I promised a follow-up to the post “10 Questions that Annoy Professors.” I had no idea that post would resonate with so many people. Nice to know I’m not alone. So, in keeping with my promise, here is my top ten list of phrases that annoy professors. Many thanks to those who contributed directly and indirectly to this post.
9. I didn’t know that assignment was due today. (sometimes phrased as a question)
8. I know you don’t accept late work, but…..
7. I didn’t have time to print my assignment.
6. I wasn’t that late.
5. I don’t have many points for participation. (silence, and then…) What do I do to make that up?
4. I didn’t know there was an assignment sheet for this.
3. I’m sure you’ve already addressed this, but…
2. The same relative has died for the third time in two weeks.
1. Other professors let us.
Of course the order is my own, but I’d like to hear what you would change? Anything you would add? If you’ve asked these questions, why?
Image by Renneet Stowe as found in Creative Commons on Flickr.