With the new year just underway and a new semester approaching, I thought it would be ideal to provide some “pet peeves” to students regarding their questions. Although one of our primary job as professors is to answer questions to the best of our ability, there are some questions that make us clinch our teeth for dear life. I asked professors near and far to send me their “pet peeves” when it comes to student questions, such as “Are we having class on Friday?” So in David Letterman style, here is a list of the top 10 questions professors don’t like to hear.
10. Will we have class the Friday before break?
9. How many points is this assignment worth?
8. Will we be getting out of class early today?
7. I have an F. Can I complete some extra credit?
6. I know this is last minute, but….
5. Could you tell me how many absences I have in this class?
4. Will you/do you drop the lowest quiz (or any other assignment) grade?
3. I was absent. Did I miss anything?
2. Am I passing this class?
1. Will this or how much of this will be on the test?
Although I could make some sarcastic remarks for each of these, I think the point is clear-respect the time and effort we put into creating handouts, syllabi, etc. that answer these questions by reading the forms. Of course there are some phrases I could add in as well, but that will have to be another post. Many thanks to those who submitted their “pet peeves.”
Of course the ordering is my own, but what would you change? Any others you would add? If you’ve asked any of these questions, why?