This was the topic for the weekly speech given by students in my public speaking course today. It was rather interesting to hear not only the students response to this topic, but the explanation for their choice as well. I won’t share all of them, but below are some of the things students in the class don’t like, but must accept.
- Foods that make you fat
- Their height
- Current automobile
- Current distance from the beach
Which do you agree with? What is some thing you don’t like, but must accept?
Today my public speaking students gave a short 1 1/2 to 2 minute speech using the theme “Taking college classes in the summer is like…” Students focused on time and content. Below are some of the analogies they devised.
- Like ripping off a band-aid. It hurts.
- Attending basic training for the military.
- Planning a wedding in a month. You’re going to be frazzled and have some sleepless nights, but it’ll be worth it.
- Being stuck in traffic in Atlanta. You know it’s going to happen, so just suck it up.
- Having a temporary job. You know you need the extra cash, or in this case, college credit.
- Unloading trucks for 12 hours. You don’t look forward to it, but the money is good.
- Being back in high school because you have class everyday.
What was/is taking summer classes in college like for you?
Due to the length of class time allotted during short term, I decided to include weekly speeches this go around in the public speaking course. These speeches are designed to be straight forward, quick, and hopefully fun. This will serve several purposes based on current course content and overall understanding of concepts. For example, the first weekly speech students delivered was around the theme “If my life was a movie, my theme song would be….” It’s short, entertaining, and designed to get them comfortable being in front of the class for a designated time frame. A minute to a minute and a half was designated to this theme.
Below I’ve included a few additional weekly speech topics the course will use over the next five weeks, but I’m looking for some more. Who doesn’t like variety? So if you have some interesting speech topic ideas, please comment. I’d love to add them to my current repertoire. Topics should be short and sweet and that can be discussed within 1-3 minutes. Here are some additional topics I’m considering:
- Describe yourself in six words.
- What’s your pet peeve?
- A notable quote.
- Attending college in the summer is like….
- My dream vacation would be….
- One thing you don’t like, but must accept.
What additional topics would you add to this list?